This is a post that I thought I must write after being a part of the Elite Model Look India (well obviously not on the ramp but off it).People do not really understand what it's like to be a model. Everything that glitters is not gold. I myself was not aware of shit loads of things until I got into this industry.
After speaking to many model friends and model acquaintances, I have listed down things that people do not know about being a model.
- You do not always get paid- Harsh reality but yes. Models do not always get paid for the shows that they do. Sometimes you have to do it because the brand matters, the name matters and you being seen on the runway for a particular famous designer matters. Sometimes you will have to spend from your pocket to travel to another city to walk on the runway for your favorite designer. Specially if you are a new face in the industry. You might not like spending but you are no Kate Moss or David Gandy so deal with it. There is no easy way out says my dear friend "Atul Kumar Tripathi" who is a successful model himself.
- Photoshop rules you- Sometimes you will have no control over how you have to look. The photographers decide how you must look according to how their choice. So you will find yourself being photoshopped quite often. You may think you are perfect but well for them you might not be and you better not argue with the fashion photographer or you can kiss your next assignment goodbye.
- Models do eat- Not every model lives on lettuce leaves and oranges all day. They do eat and I realized this after meeting Prateek Jain "Mr.India 2014" who is rrriippppedd...Trust me... he is. Google him. He said he eats everything. Of course not trash, mostly healthy but eats well. Intense workout is his secret of fitness. Running being the major and most regular routine.
- Photoshoots are not nearlyas glamorous as it seems- Sometimes photoshoots can be tiring wayyyy too tiring. You may have to pose for a live long day. May have to wear the skimpiest outfit on a cold day or wear fur and leather on a summer afternoon. In the name of fashion you will have to bare the pain while you wear those uncomfortable shoes, your knees might hurt but they are paying a bom for that. You may also have to undress yourself in front of someone constantly looking at you and craving but you need to deal with all that.
- Get used to waiting- Models sometimes end up waiting for fittings and trials for upto 12 hours. So you may have arrived at 9am for you first trial but you may have to wait until 9pm for the next designer to arrive for your second or third trial. Yeah ... sounds like a tough job rite? It is ... trust me... I am no model but I do get the inside scoop.
- If you do not fit in the clothes then your out of the show- You may have been selected for a runway show for a particular designer but if you do not fit into the clothes that the designer has brought for the showcase then you can walk out without even questioning anyone. Consider it your unlucky day.
- Models do not get to keep the fancy clothes- Model do not always get to keep all those designer pieces that they wear on the runway. Actually they rarely get to keep the clothes. Those pieces are just brought for the show and then are taken back to the designers fashion house. Unless its a super model and the designer is doing a barter system with him or her.
- Get ready to get naked- Yeah.... they will ask you to show your skin.... sometimes more than you would actually feel comfortable showing. Designers and specially the photographers like doing semi nude or sometimes nude photoshoot. So if you are a shy person, drink up before the shoot. Yeah take shots before the shoot.
- Get used to seeing your embarrassing pictures online - Of course if you are a model then media will keep a close eyes on you. So get ready to see yourself on the news if there is a wardrobe malfunction. There will be people gossiping about you, calling you names etc. You know what I mean rite, the general public tendencies of eyeing something that they don't have and they wish they had- "Grapes are sour".
- Get used to people calling you snob- Yeah..... it's another usual tendency. With the title "Model" you also get the title of being a "Snob" because you do not talk much, you hangout with just few close friends, you are not seen falling out of a night club with your buddies or if you are tired of clicking pictures and you do not want to take selfies with anyone because you are exhausted and sleepy from the all day shoot that you just finished.